Motorcycle operators are extremely susceptible to serious injury or death when they are involved in a traffic accident. Because they lack the same protections as vehicle occupants, even a minor crash can cause catastrophic harm. If you are involved in a motorcycle accident in Tennessee, you need to consult with an attorney as soon as possible.
At Aubrey Givens & Associates, PLLC, we represent individuals who have been seriously injured in motorcycle accidents throughout Tennessee. Our experienced lawyers can help ensure that you receive the money you need after a crash. We are experienced advocates that will not give up. If you were injured in a Tennessee motorcycle accident, contact our office at (615) 248-8600 to schedule a free consultation.
What to Do If You Are Injured in a Motorcycle Accident
Across the country, thousands of people are killed in motorcycle accidents every year. According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), motorcycle operators are approximately 24x more likely to die in a traffic accident compared to car occupants. If you are injured in a motorcycle accident, you need to take action to protect your rights.
If you are injured in a motorcycle accident, you should:
- Contact 911. If you are involved in a motorcycle accident where you or someone else is injured then you need to call 911. The dispatcher will send an officer to conduct an accident investigation and can send for an ambulance.
- Seek medical attention. One of the most important things you can do after a motorcycle accident is to seek medical attention. Failing to be evaluated by a doctor can delay your recovery and impact your compensation.
- Take pictures and videos. Pictures and videos can help to strengthen your case. If you are able, the more evidence you can collect, the better.
- Consult with a qualified attorney. In order to get the compensation you deserve, you need to consult with a knowledgeable motorcycle accident attorney. An attorney can investigate your claim and help determine who can be held liable for your injuries.
Regardless of the circumstances of your case, it is important to contact an attorney as early as possible. An attorney can help protect your rights and defend against an insurance company that may try to get you to settle your case for less than it is worth.
Causes of Motorcycle Accidents in Tennessee
Motorcycle accidents can have multiple causes, but they are often the result of negligence, recklessness, or wrongdoing. Even if you aren’t sure what caused the crash, you should still consult with an attorney.
Leading causes of motorcycle accidents in Tennessee:
- Driving under the influence
- Reckless driving
- Distracted driving
- Driving while fatigued
- Following too closely
- Failure to observe traffic signals
In many instances, motorcycle accidents are the result of another motorist’s negligence. They might not have been paying attention or may have been traveling too fast for road conditions causing irreparable harm to a motorcyclist.
Common Motorcycle Accident Injuries
Motorcycle accidents often result in serious, catastrophic injuries. This is because motorcycles have little to no protection on the road. When they are hit, even at a low speed, they can experience life-threatening harm.
Common motorcycle accident injuries include:
- Road rash
- Traumatic brain injury (TBI)
- Broken bones
- Damage to internal organs
Even if you do not think that you were seriously injured in a motorcycle accident, you still need to seek medical attention. Some injuries may not be apparent for days or even weeks.
When to Hire a Motorcycle Accident Attorney
Motorcycle accident claims should be filed as quickly as possible to ensure that you receive the compensation you deserve. Therefore, you should retain an attorney immediately after the accident. Waiting to retain legal counsel can directly impact your case.
Any time you are seriously injured, there is a question of liability, or the insurance company will not give you a fair and full settlement, you need to hire an attorney. Too often, individuals without representation end up with little to no money to help pay for their medical bills and other accident-related losses. An attorney will help make sure that you receive compensation for all of your damages.
Damages in a Motorcycle Accident Case
Damages in a motorcycle accident case may be determined by a number of factors, including the severity of your injuries, whether you were partially at fault, and your property damage. Determining damages, however, can be challenging without the help of an attorney.
Damages in a motorcycle accident case may include compensation for:
- Medical bills
- Future medical expenses such as physical therapy and rehabilitation
- Lost wages
- Lost earning capacity
- Physical pain and emotional suffering
- Damage to your motorcycle or other property
- Loss of enjoyment of life
It is important to know that even if you were partially to blame for the motorcycle accident, you might still be entitled to compensation from another liable party. A Tennessee motorcycle accident attorney can help determine whether you have a valid claim for damages and how much your case is worth.
Injured in a Motorcycle Accident? Contact Our Office.
Were you or a loved one injured in a motorcycle accident? Contact our office at (615) 248-8600 to schedule a free consultation. All motorcycle accident case evaluations are provided without obligation to retain our firm. Get the experienced, focused representation you need to get the results you deserve. Call now to get started.